Friday, September 28, 2012

Sept Update #3 - Taylor

What a great kid Taylor is turning out to be.  She is in 1st grade now and loving it.  She rides to bus to school every day which breaks the seating up by grade to separate the older kids from the younger ones but Taylor sits as far back as she is allowed in the 1st grade seats and waves to us the whole time the bus starts heading down the road.  It is very cute.

What comes to mind when I think of Taylor is that she is always listening now so Kendel and I now have to watch everything we say.  As an example, I took the girls to dinner with my parents the other night.  My dad was talking about an Irish woman who lives in Australia and went out to a bar and never made it home.  It was all over the news in Ireland while they were home so he has been reading all about it.  Taylor never said a word throughout the discussion which went on for 5 or 10 minutes but as soon as we got in the car to go home, I was asked no less than 100 questions.  Why did she not go home?  Where is she?  Is she lost? What if they can't find her?  Are they looking for her?...I had to try to put a positive spin on it even though the woman was missing almost a week and in all likelihood, no longer alive. I could not say that to Taylor (made that mistake once about a boy who had a bad accident and died) so I kept saying that she was lost and trying to get home.  She seemed to buy it and the real test was that she went to bed ok that night.  With the story about the boy, I told her too much because we were going to a fund raising event for the family and I wanted her to understand why we were doing that.  She was asking her typical 100 questions about the event and she really didn't sleep well for a week after I answered most of them truthfully.  That will not happen again until she is older :-)

One of the things I am enjoying most about Taylor right now is that she and I do her homework together every night.  She is so smart and I love seeing her apply what she has learned in school.  The other day, she started her math homework while I finished something up in the office and had about 20 addition problems to do.  She brought me the paper completed before I got to the table and she got them all correct.  She has been reading to me each night too as she usually comes home with a book or two each night.  I love seeing her learn new words and read books that are quite difficult for her.  I love helping her to learn new words and watch her try to process the letters in her head as she is reading for the words that she doesn't know.  She is so smart and I love it!

Some pics of Taylor...

Pic 1 - Taylor you need shots today...



 Pic 2 - That wasn't so bad...



Pic 3 - Taylor's 1st and last day of kindergarten.  What a difference!


Pic 4 - Modeling a hat while shopping with mommy



No comments:

Post a Comment