Saturday, August 8, 2009

How Taylor uses Erin's vocabulary to her advantage....

Taylor just LOVES having a baby sister that she can "use" to get what she wants (or at least try to). Erin's vocabulary is suddenly taking a leap. Her latest is that 99.9% of the time you ask her something in a tone that indicates something might be "fun", Erin responds with a lively "yeah, yeah". This works well, for example, at bedtime. Rather than telling Erin it's time for bed and watching the lower lip protrude and the tears flow, we just say in an enthusiastic tone "Erin! Would you like to go read a BOOK before bed?" (she currently LOVES books - yay!). She picks up that something fun is going to happen and responds "yeah, yeah" and goes to bed without any issues. Well......Taylor has figured this out (being the quiet observer she is).

I will often be doing something when I will hear Taylor oh so quietly talking to Erin. She will lean right into Erin and say, in a very excited tone (but ever so quietly thinking I can't hear her), "Erin, do you want to play outside on the deck?". Erin, thinking, this sounds fun, says "yeah, yeah". Then I hear Taylor say, "Mommy, Erin wants to play on the deck". This happens for wanting to go in the driveway for sidewalk chalk, having a snack, going upstairs to play in the big girl bed, watching a movie, you name it! Pretty darn clever if you ask me. It is even funnier when Taylor then, makes a funny face and shakes her head and then says, "That silly baby", like she just can't BELIEVE Erin would ask for something so silly.

The thing it, I think this is just something older sisters do! I remember doing this sort of thing with Jeni all the time. I also think Taylor takes after me in so many ways. Birth order thing? Just a coincidence? Who knows! Regardless, it's quite entertaining :-)

While we're on the topic of vocabulary, here is what Erin can say as of now (and I am sure I am forgetting some):
more (she has known this one forever)
book
no
yeah
fish
Daddy
bear
bee
uppy (pick me up)
juice
car
truck


Notice Mommy is missing? Little stinker......

1 comment: