Thursday, December 9, 2010

Girls Night

Posted by Dave...

Oh where to begin. 

Taylor, for some time now, has been spending "girls nights" in Mommy and Daddy's bed on the weekends.  I am not sure how this got started but things like this usually happen when the girls are sick, sad, scared or something to that effect and then they don't want to be in their own beds.  Anyway, Taylor loves her girls nights and looks forward to it all week.  She actually starts asking for it on Monday and every night of the week until the weekend arrives.  I have tried to teach her the concept of time in terms she understand like "Girls night will not be here until you go to school twice this week and you haven't gone yet."  This approach doesn't really work as I still get the question every night although she is understanding it better now.

The reason that they are called girls nights is because Taylor goes into our bed and watches "Sprout" (a kids channel with terrible shows she loves) and then Kendel goes up later while Taylor is still awake.  By the time Daddy comes to bed, Taylor is asleep so the fact that she never sees me means that it is a girls night.  I have another names for this night too.  It is called Daddy time where I get to veg on the couch and watch whatever I want so I love girls night as much as she does!  However, Taylor eventually starting telling Kendel not to come up so girls night turned into girl night which has subsequently affected Daddy time.

Erin never gets a girls night for a number of reasons.  First of all, I don't think Taylor would allow it as she sleeps with her door open and would never stay in her room while Erin was in our bed watching TV.  I can visualize the tantrum already.  Another issue with Erin is that she is a very strange sleeper.  We have a video monitor in her room and enjoy watching the party that she will have until 11pm at night or later sometimes.  The 2 or 3 times that we have had her in our bed since she was born and in her own room have resulted in massive parties and little sleeping as she bounces around the bed.  The only other option would be that girls night would be Taylor and Erin in our bed but that would involve very little sleeping and therefore very cranky kids the next day so that is not an option either. 

So, right now, Taylor is the only one getting girls nights.  What is funny to watch though is that we tell her she is not allowed to tease Erin about it or really talk about it in front of her.  Have you ever seen a 4 year old try to keep a secret?  She will whisper to me as we are getting ready for bed upstairs, "Erin is going to go into her crib and then I am going to go into Mommy and Daddy's room for a girls night but shush, we can't tell Erin".  The only problem with a 4 year olds whispers at times is that the neighbors can here them.  On a side note, Mommy and Daddy's room used to be called "Mommy and Scaddy's room" for a long time.  I used to laugh because it made me feel like I was a disease or something.

This brings me to today.

Lately, Taylor feels Girls Nights should be every night.  This happened the other night for the first time when Kendel was out enjoying a dinner/movie or enjoying it as much as a 37 week pregnant woman enjoys anything.  I was putting the girls to bed and Taylor was insisting it was Girls Night on a Tuesday.  All of this was because the prior week she got a Girls Night on a Thursday for some reason I can't remember.  All I know is Kendel is to blame for this issue.  She allowed Taylor to pick 2 or the 3 days from Thursday to Saturday and Taylor chose Thursday and Friday.  Since then when I say Girls Night is not until the weekend, she replies "but it wasn't last week."  Kendel got to have this argument for the first time last night and I think realized the monster she created. :-)  I think we have weathered the storm but we will see what tonight brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment